Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm beginning to think I'm not good at kinko's

So to clarify, by saying I'm not good at Kinko's I do not mean that I become evil there, I just mean I am not good at the act of Kinko's - or Kinko-ing as it should be called.  Every time I go there it becomes an ordeal trying to get a project finished in time. So here is this weeks story. 

After work yesterday I frantically tried to finish my project so that I could email it in before closing hours at FedEx Office.  That did not happen.

Around 10 I finished and sent my project in, specifically requesting to be called as soon as they know when it will be done.  Since FedEx Office opens at either 7 or 9 I expected a call by eleven letting me know when I could get my project.

The reason I ask to be reached is because last week they did not finish until 9 o'clock.  Closing time.  They told me to pick up my project at the exact moment the freaking store closes.  At least on the phone I can barter with them for a better time, like 8:55, 6:00.  

So around one o'clock friday afternoon I still had not received a phone call from FedEx and I decided to take matters into my own hands and call them.  The store locator couldn't have the phone number, that would be too easy.  So I googled around until I found a website with their number that appeared legit, and I called the store.

"Hello"

"Hi, my name is Rich and I placed an order last night and I was wondering.."

"One minute"

Approximately 10 minutes pass

"Hello how can I help you?"

"Hi there, my name is Rich and I placed an order last night.  When will that order be finished?"

"We wanted to reach you but your email said you could not be reached by phone."

I ponder this, since I left my phone number in the email twice with specific instructions to call me for any and all problems, and they had not emailed me back either.

"Oh, okay... so whats up with my project?"

"We just received it a little while ago, we cannot mount your project on black foam board even if you bring the board in, everything else you sent is fine." 

 "That's cool, when do you think it will be done?"

"One moment."

After what was definitely longer than the normal length of a moment, someone picked up

"FedEx Office how may I help you?"

"I, um... we talked?  My order?" (I was taken by surprise by this nonchalant introduction halfway through our conversation, normally I am a much better conversationalist) 

"Oh right, I saw the blinking dot and decided to pick up.  That other lady is not here right now."

"Oh, when do you think my order will be ready?" 

"Well you asked for it to be ready by six, so we will have it ready by six."

"Thanks, bye"

I share this because it took half an hour to hear what I could have been told immediately.  This is not the reason I am bad at Kinko-ing, just by this point I should be better at it.

I don't know why  I felt the need to share this story, maybe because we all have our own printing disaster story to tell.  This honestly isn't even the worst I have had it, but I need a blog post so maybe I will regale you with the horror stories from Kinko's later on.

1 comment:

  1. Every week I complain to Crystal that Kinkos employees are easily the most disgruntled employees ever. They hate their life and they DEFINITELY hate my life. I don't think she believes me, but Crytal- if you are reading this: See!

    ReplyDelete